Saturday, December 15, 2012

$100 EDC

For this post, I wanted to touch on a trend I see a lot. A lot of people believe that to have a quality EDC setup, you must spend a small fortune. I see so many people who suggest a $500 Sebenza, $200 Surefire light, etc when people are asking for advice on what gear to buy. Now, I'm not saying that gear like this isn't worth the money. I have never owned a Sebenza, but have never read a negative review for one. What I am saying, however, is that it is entirely possible to put together an EDC setup with quality gear at a budget price. The limit for the cost of everything will be around $100. I believe that if someone is in the market for quality EDC gear, a $100 budget is definatly feasible. Let's start with a very basic piece of gear, the knife. There are so many options at varying price points, that it can be overwhelming to make a choice on what knife to buy. I am going to recommend the Kershaw Skyline. The Skyline can be purchased on Amazon for around $40. This is a quality knife, with decent steel, that comes with Kershaw's great lifetime warranty.
 


Next, let's choose a light. A quality flashlight is invaluable. I am going to recommend the Fenix E11. With a price point of around $26, decent warranty, and a very pocketable size, I feel this is a great choice. The E11 has two modes, high and low, with 105 and 32 lumens, respectively. It also features a runtime of 1 hour and 50 minutes on high and 8 hours and 23 minutes on low. I EDC this light daily, and have never experienced any problems with it.





The next thing to look at will be a multitool. I am going to go with the Leatherman Blast. I am going to go with the Leatherman Blast. I also carry this daily, and it has never let me down. It retails for around $45 in stores, and is very affordable for the amount of tools it comes with. It features 2 flathead drivers, a Phillips head driver, an eyeglass screwdriver, a saw, file, scissors, knife blade, can/bottle opener, needle nosed pliers, and wire cutters. I consider it pocketable, but you may prefer to use the included sheath.






The total price for these comes to around $101. I think it is clear that one doesn't have to break the bank to have quality pocket tools. I would not consider this a complete EDC setup, but it is a great start, for sure. Comment and tell me what you would choose, if you could only spend $100 on an EDC setup. Tyler 

No comments:

Post a Comment